Monday, April 7, 2014

IT'S HAPPENING!

    In November of 2013, I put out a Craigslist ad looking for a cabinetmaker that specialized in boat and RV work.  After sorting through the portfolios of a few local craftsmen, I came across Paul Jacqua's work (http://www.marinwoodworks.net/).  Paul's been in the business since 1974, he's worked on RV's, boats, and I had the chance to check out some of his recent projects at his shop.
   Paul and I worked through the details of coming up with a practical, rugged, and modern-looking kitchen for Westly.  We settled on using a pre-finished Maple veneer plywood.  The cost was right, at about $45 per 4x8 sheet, and it was strong and lightweight.  Just by chance, Paul had an extra lot of Corian countertop.  I had been toying with the idea of using Coran, concrete, or granite, so it comes as no surprise that I jumped at the chance to use it in this project.

A couple of weeks into the build.  These are going to be the rear shelves.
Fitting all of the appliances into the cabinetry was a challenge, especially if I wanted to keep the middle bench seat.

Paul invited me over for a test fit to show the build progress.
Modular shelving of Paul's own design.  Space was limited under the sink, so he made use of the scrapped ABS panel that filled the wall behind the new cabinetry.






No comments:

Post a Comment